REAL CHAMPIONS WEAR BELTS

October 28th, 2008 · 8 Comments

102708_wrestlingbelts.jpg

My fantasy football league wanted to do something cool this year. We figured that a wrestling belt is big, gaudy and wearable – therefore the perfect trophy. A regular statue trophy is nice, and of course money is always good. But a championship belt is a CHAMPIONSHIP BELT! There is no better way to throw your “fantasy genius” in the face of your defeated foes then by showing up to a barbecue or a birthday party or a wedding adorned with the spoils of victory. OK, a wedding might be too far, but the guys in my league would probably sport the belt any chance they got.

There are several vendors online that do fully customized belts for all occasions. The design and craftsmanship of some of these belts is truly amazing. I’ve seen some belts that cost upwards of half a million dollars. I guess anything gets expensive when you start sticking diamonds in it. I was looking to buy a simple customized 3 plate belt and most quotes came in around the $1000 dollar range – still a bit pricey for what we were hoping for.

Of all the belt makers that I researched, Top Rope Belts had the coolest stuff. As a graphic designer I never thought about designing a championship belt. But now that I’ve seen how beautiful they really are I want to make one! Maybe the guys at Top Rope Belts would like to extend me a one time discount so I can try my hand at this? I would be certain to review the work on my website and post the belt to all the top design blogs! Maybe put the Top Ropes Belt logo on the 4th and 5th plates? Plus the guys in my league would wear the belt everywhere! How about that for walking advertisement!

Tags: Design,Personal,Typography

8 responses so far ↓

• 1 Dante // Dec 14, 2008 at 10:28 pm

I completely agree with you.

• 2 Dark // Feb 22, 2009 at 6:30 pm

I don’t know about wearing the belt to the wedding BUT if it was one of the guys in the league getting married?

It would be draped over my left shoulder at the reception!

• 3 Fahh Q too // Aug 26, 2009 at 6:06 am

I myself, would love to sport a “Championship Belt” everywhere I go, if I were the lucky winner. I’m in several fantasy football leagues this year and if I were to sport my new belt around my other league members, I sure they would be “joggin” and copycat this shit! Bring on the Belt Bitches and make sure it polished!

• 4 Miguel // Aug 26, 2009 at 4:16 pm

These are straight dope! Can I join your guys’ fantasy league? I want that belt!

• 5 lightning // Apr 12, 2014 at 2:35 am

like the work you guys do now come do it on our straps please and thank you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• 6 Jonh // Oct 9, 2015 at 3:43 pm

To this day I still remember an atcrile in one of the Apter mags where Terry Funk, saying that Ric Flair wouldn’t give him a title match, had his own version of the NWA belt made, and declared himself NWA World Heavyweight Champion (Claimant) . Deserving of an induction of it’s own

• 7 http://w3url.net/tonystencel.com // Nov 19, 2015 at 3:20 pm

You’ve got to be kidding me-it’s so transparently clear now!

• 8 http://www.url2go.xyz/energyandfitness.com // Dec 3, 2015 at 10:58 am

That’s a smart answer to a difficult question.